Friday, April 16, 2010

Dengue? Really?

They think I have dengue fever, even though I don't have most of the symptoms. I had a fever for three days, with NO OTHER problems. When I would tell people this they would then ask if I had a headache or muscle cramping. No, I feel fine. How about diarrhea? Am I able to eat? Do I have the feeling that my bones are breaking? There is no place for those of us who have a fever but feel fine.

Today is day four and my fever is gone, BUT I have another classic dengue symptom: the pain behind the eyes. Apparently this is a telling symptom, but after three days of a non-dengue fever, I'm sure I would have the eye headache too. In fact I've had the eye headache without a fever. Oh well. It's the only thing currently wrong with me.

A typical case of dengue is fever, bone-crushing pain, diarrhea, nausea, red blotches, can't eat, pain behind the eyes... You get the idea.

Oh, I do have pain in my butt where they gave me a shot

I've been drinking lots of fresh acerola juice.

2 comments:

Molly said...

I googled dengue fever. Sounds like it could be right, caused by mosquito bites, which you've had. Here's the best part: "The condition generally lasts a week or more. Although uncomfortable, dengue fever is not deadly. People with the condition should fully recover." And maybe you have a stronger immune system than most, living such a healthy and upstanding life.
We send Mt Shasta energy for a speedy recovery. Blessings and love!

Molly said...

The Joys of Travel

Oh, the joys of travel! To feel the excitement of sudden departure, not always knowing whither. Surely you and I are in agreement about that. How often did my life seem concentrated in that single moment of departure. To travel far, far—and that first morning's awakening under a new sky! And to find oneself in it—no, to discover more of oneself there. To experience there, too, where one has never been before, one's own continuity of being and, at the same time, to feel that something in your heart, somehow indigenous to this new land, is coming to life from the moment of your arrival. You feel your blood infused with some new intelligence, wondrously nourished by things you had no way of knowing.

Letter to a friend February 3, 1923

From A Year With Rilke, translated and edited by Joanna Macy and Anita Barrows, 2009.